Tuesday, August 17, 2010
How to Spot a Well-Made Hermes Purse
A trademark of excellence, authentic Hermes handbags can often be difficult to find. Poorly made counterfeits flood the market, and are available on street corners and even in stores. With a bit of research and some skilled detective work, you can spot the real deal and stay away from inferior knock-offs. A great deal of care goes into the making of each bag, and Hermes Birkin designers have planted some “signature” techniques that should make recognizing their original product much easier.
Similar to designer clothing, handbags are all about the details. A card that declares the item’s authenticity is no longer the main standard. Most high-end handbags come with booklets of information that describe the product as well as the process of what makes it an original. History about the designer can help you spot an original as well.
Nearly all Hermes Handbagon the open (resale) market are counterfeit. Below is a “hot list” of traits to look for when shopping for your authentic Hermes purse.
• Authentic Hermes bags have the Hermes emblem engraved rather than embossed on the hardware. Engraving is a process where the letters sit lower than the metal, and embossing is the opposite, meaning that the letters are raised.
• Hermes handles are equal in size and length. There are no variations, and this small detail can often be the deal breaker.
• Standing by Birkin on a stable base is a trademark characteristic of all Hermes bags. The hardware that allows the bag to do this is not detachable.
• A high-end handbag will have uniform stitching that is consistent throughout the bag. The stitching is the same color and is always even. Hermes stitching is diagonal and not horizontal.
• Leather comes in a variety of grades, and Hermes is known for only using the best. Nearly 98% of all leather they purchase is rejected. They use the top 2% to create their handbags and herve leger dresses is the highest grade imaginable. Leather can be flawless, although “perfect” leather is never completely uniform, stiff, or shiny.
• The label is the designer’s signature finishing touch, and is therefore very important. An original product will not contain spelling errors anywhere. Any type of misspelling should raise immediate red flags about the quality of your Hermes handbag. Fake labels are cheaply made, resulting in a cheap appearance. Their stitching isn’t uniform, often varying in color, and the labeling is often inconsistent. Counterfeits will often pluralize a name as well. For instance, Burberrys of London versus the real Burberry of London. These little details are vitally important in determining the quality and worth of a Hermes purse.
• herve leger a unique dating system that allows them to date each purse they create. This little stamp can be found on the underside of the straps on each purse. • Packaging is very important as well. What your purse comes in—whether it’s tissue paper, bags, or boxes—should match the level of quality of purse you are purchasing. A purse that costs several thousands of dollars does not come wrapped in butcher paper. Boxes that are too big or too small are giveaways that you may be dealing with a fake. Luxury handbags often come in dust bags that are not flimsy or cheaply made. Hermes dust bags are made of strong, soft, orange cotton flannel. Older Hermes handbags may come in a tan velour bag with a somewhat differing pattern. Since Birkins are fairly new (1984), they all come in orange dust bags, and there is no such thing as a vintage Birkin.
• Hardware is important to Hermes as well. Much of their hardware is made from gold and palladium, and it is protected by its own special coating. Every item sold in a Hermes retail store comes with this protective covering, and it is never removed until after purchase.
With a little consideration and some researchMoncler, you can save yourself the grief, time, and money you’ll incur by purchasing a low-quality purse. Recognizing original, authentic products requires an eye for excellence. Cultivate this, and your transaction will be just as authentic as your Hermes purse.